When we started this initiative, we asked several folks (and ourselves) the question - when we think of patriotism, what is the one symbol that we imagine in our minds. The answer - a national flag. Then we asked a slightly more tricky question; What is patriotism? Most of the answers that we heard and found circled around cricket, paying taxes and the once in four years olympics fever when we are very proud. This effort is to go beyond just being proud from time to time, to making a commitment. So we put down a few things we believe are achievable, and practical convictions that everyone can follow, but would make a world of difference. We call it the pledge.
Without the conviction and meaning, a flag no matter how majestic and tall it might be loses its meaning and just becomes another structure, of steel and colored cloth. We are taking the pledge below, so that the tricolor doesn't just fly in the skies of marina but will also guide our actions to be better.
1. I love my country
2. I will do my job whatever it may be, diligently
3. I will minimise negative impact to others and the environment
4. I will contribute to the society in whatever way possible
I do this of my free will and will not impose this on others, but will encourage if willing.
1. நான் என் தேசத்தை நேசிக்கிறேன்.
2. என் கடமைகளையும் நியமிக்கப்பட்ட பணியையும் கனிவோடும் கவனத்தோடும் ஆற்றுவேன்.
3. சுற்றத்திற்கும் சுற்றுச்சூழலுக்கும் என்னால் நேரும் குறைகளை தவிர்ப்பேன்.
4. கற்ற ஏட்டறிவையும், பெற்ற பட்டறிவையும் சக மனிதர்களும், ஊரும் , நாடும் மேன்மையுறப் பயன்படுத்துவேன்.
இது எனது உறுதிமொழி; இதை நான் யார் மீதும் திணிக்கமாட்டேன். இதில் ஒருமனப்பட்டவர்களுடன் ஒத்துழைப்பேன்.
By taking this Pledge, you volunteer to become part of a group of citizens with a shared vision and purpose - which has time and time again been the driving force behind what makes a society great and breathes life into it. Join us in reaffirming the faith in the democratic experiment that is India